Go to BiddleEtc Home Page "BiddleEtc" — Home of the Biddle/Bechtel Y-DNA Surname Project and Genealogy Database
 
Go to Lineage Database

Robert Bedell

Male 1619 - Bef 1702  (< 83 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Robert Bedell  [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
    Born 1619 
    Gender Male 
    Residence Between 1654 and 1700  Hempstead, Nassau County, NY Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died Bef 20 Mar 1702  Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I041  Bedell-122689
    Last Modified 22 May 2008 

    Family Blanch(e) __?__,   d. Bef Sep 1698 
    Married 1647  [13
    Children 
     1. Daniel Bedell,   b. 1648, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 15 Feb 1714, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age > 66 years)
     2. Matthew Bedell,   b. Abt 1649, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 2 Mar 1709, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 60 years)
     3. John Bedell,   b. 1650, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 3 Apr 1716, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age < 66 years)
     4. Mary Bedell,   b. Abt 1655, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location
     5. Robert Bedell,   b. 1656, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 4 Aug 1703, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age > 47 years)
     6. Sarah Bedell,   b. 1660, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1 Apr 1699  (Age > 39 years)
     7. Elizabeth Bedell,   b. 1669, Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY Find all individuals with events at this location
    Family ID F06  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • Bethany Mierzejewski, Meirzejewski: Bedell Family Notes: Bethany records John James Bedell of Cardiffe County, Glanmorgan Principality, Wales as the grandfather of Robert. According to Bethany, John James Bedell was born in England and died in 1660 in Cardiffe County. The son of John James and father of Robert, states Bethany's record, was Thomas (or John) Bedell, born in England. Robert had two brothers, states this account; Daniel and William. {Compilers note: we believe that this account is erroneous, arising from the will of John James, a school teacher in Hempstead who left a doublet and forgave the debt for lessons to John, son of Robert and Blanch Bedell.]

      The year of birth appears on a small diagram of the ancestors of Daniel Bedell, Robert's son. The diagram includes only Robert and Blanche. The diagram is not a highly regarded source, and no source is given. Margaret S. Wien [80 Norma Avenue, Lincroft, NJ 07738, ph 908-842-5424] gives his year of birth as 1610 and year of death as 1698. 1610 may be too early, and 1698 seems too early given that the inventory of his estate takes place in 1702. He is listed on p 2, col 2 of the 1698 Hempstead Census [Hoff, Long Island Source Records from the New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, p 306].

      Bobi Anderson: Bedell Family Notes: According to a chart prepared by Mrs. Frederig G. Schifferdeck, Towasentha Chapter, DAR, New York (handwritten note) Robert was born before 1620 in Wales and died Aug 1698. This note also states that Robert was a member of the Plymouth Company. The note also mentions John Beadle and wife Elizabeth stating tht they are mentioned in the wills of Thomas Evered of Black Notley, dated 19 Dec 1576, John Garrard of Black Notley, Yeoman, dated 6 Jun 1573, and Thomas Pygen of Fairstead, dated 6 Oct 1571 [Essex Wills of England, 1571-1577, vol 3, pp 368, 369, 294, 292, 257, 294, 295]. Note that the location of the wills, which agrees with documented evidence of a Robert Bedell, son of John and Elizabeth [Gynne] Bedell of Fairstead, Essex, England. [See the research paper "Early History of the Bedell Families" by Joseph C. Rhea, Mary Ellen (Bedell) Rhea, John Bedells, and Margo Miller.] Schifferdeck provides no documentation for the place of Robert's birth as Wales, and this does not agree with the location of the cited wills and the corollary evidence from the research paper cited above.

      According to Ceylon H. Bedell [Ceylon H. Bedell, Bedell Family Notes, vol 1, Preface], "the name Bedell is traceable to very high antiquity. It has been variously spelled and pronounced. Bedell is the form we find it in the fifteenth century. Tradition tells us that three brothers came from Essex, England. One of them settled at Hempstead, Long Island, New York. From the latter the Bedell family of New York and particularly that of Dutchess County has descended." Peters, Powells of the Hudson Valley, Bedell family title notecard, states that the Bedell family came from Cardiff, County Ganengan [Glamorgan], Principality of Wales.

      Semon H. Springer, Peter Cooper and Hempstead, 1812-1818: Springer, writing in about the late 1940's, provides a detailed (and likely somewhat imagined historical account) of the courtship and early marriage of Peter Cooper and Sarah Bedell (father Benjamin, gfather Silvanus, ggfather Richard, gggfather Daniel, ggggfather Robert). However, his names and dates are accurate. He states, "Sarah Bedell stemmed from one of the earliest settlers in Hempstead who came from France by way of Holland to the New Netherlands. Unlike the English settlers who came from Weathersfield, Connecticut with Richard Denton and Robert Fordham in 1643-1644, the progenitor of the Bedell clan had worked his way from New Amsterdam, stopping briefly in what is now Brooklyn and thence to Hempstead sometime prior to 1657. He was the first French Huguenot to reach Hempstead, many more soon followed."

      Roy and Gloria Knittle, Knittle: Absalom Bedell Family Genealogy: This source states that Robert Bedell [according to Larry King, "A. Bedell Family; A Record of 14 Generations of Robert Bedell's Descendants"] was the son of a Thomas Bedell who lived in St. Giles Parish, Cripplegate, London, England in the early 1600's. Robert, the son of Thomas, came to the New World in 1661 and received a 727 acre land grant on Totusky Creek at Beaver Dam Branch in Farnham Parrish, Old Rappahannock [now Richmond] County, VA. [Compilers note: an inquiry was made to Larry King for information on the sources of this proposed parentage of Robert of Hempstead, and a copy of his book requested. He has not responded to this inquiry. Robert of Hempstead came to the Colonies earlier than 1661. This makes Larry King's account questionable. Thomas Bedell of St. Giles Parish, Cripplegate, is also cited as the father of Robert in a Register Report provided by Jack Biddle from the Biddle FamilyTreeDNA Biddle Project web pages.]

      Mack states that Robert and Blanch were married in 1647. The location of Robert prior to his identification as an inhabitant and townsman of Hempstead, Long Island, NY on 17 Mar 1657 is not known with certainty. However, it is likely that he came to Hempstead from Connecticut where he probably was one of the three Robert Bedells that appear in the records there. Margo Miller and the editors of this family history tentatively believe that he is the Robert Bedell in Connecticut who is transported to Fishers Island and records the same cattle mark at the Winthrop Plantation in New London as that recorded by Robert of Hempstead.

      We have documented the following historical timeline for development of Connecticut and the appearance of Bedell Families, including that of Robert Bedell:
      1614 -- Adrian Block explores the Connecticut River up to three miles north of Hartford. Trade with the Indians begins.
      18 Jun 1633 -- The Windsor settlement begins with William Holmes and his band of Pilgrims near the mouth of the Farmington River.
      Also in 1633 -- Oldham and ten others come to the future site of Wethersfield.
      1634 -- The future Wethersfield is established as Watertown [its early name], 4 miles south of the yet to be established Hartford and 10 miles from Windsor. The John Spring family settles in Watertown in this year -- a progenitor of John Spring Bedell.
      Jun 1635 -- Rev. Thomas Hooker and Rev. Samuel Stone lead the Dorchester, MA liberal Puritan congregation to settle near the Pilgrims at Windsor. The Pilgrims later sell out and return to MA.
      Jul 1635 -- The Saybrook Company designates John Winthrop, Jr. (who is at this time visiting in England) as their representative and Governor of the River Connecticut. [Compilers note: Margo Miller states in our "Bedell Origins" volumes that Robert may have at some time taken the young Robert Bedell under his protection, or provided him with work that later permitted him to acquire land on the Winthrop Plantation.
      Oct 1635 -- John Steele and 60 settlers come to Hartford and hold their first town meeting.
      Oct 1635 -- John Winthrop, Jr. with a group of 20 build Fort Saybrook at the mouth of the Connecticut River.
      Dec 1635 -- Most of the John Steele group at Hartford return to Boston, although a few stay on at Hartford.
      6 Apr 1636 -- The return to Hartford is completed by settlers and the first General Court for the colony is held. Meanwhile, in Marshfield, MA, a Joseph Beadle in 1636 marries Rachel Deane.
      May 1636 -- Rev. Thomas Hooker leads the New Town congregation to East Hartford.
      1 May 1637 -- The General Court session includes representatives from the three towns of Hartford, Wethersfield and Windsor. There are 6 magistrates and 9 committes. The three towns now have collectively a population of 800 people.
      31 May 1638 -- Rev. Thomas Hooker preaches a sermon that leads to formation of the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut. Roger Ludlow is the probably author of the Orders.
      1638 -- The New Haven settlement begins under Rev. John Davenport.
      14 Jan 1639 -- The Fundamental Orders are adopted.
      Feb 1639 -- A land inventory credits William Kelsey with 21 parcels of land including 2 rods bought of William Williams which at some time belonged to John Beddell. Also in 1639, land records state that Andrew Warner sold 4 acres owned by John Sabell to John Beddell. [See the volumes on Early Origins of the Bedell Family.]
      2nd Tuesday of Apr 1639 -- Rev. Henry Whitfield leads settlers on the London ship "St. John" to land at New Haven, settling at Guilford.
      Fall of 1639 -- The Stratford settlement is established by Mr. Fairfield, who comes direct from England and is joined by settlers from Roxbury, Boston and Concord, MA; and from Milford and Wethersfield [Watertown], CT.
      Late 1639 -- Roger Ludlow and 10 families from Windsor settle at Fairfield [then named Uncoway]. He is joined by others from Wethersfield, CT and Concord, MA.
      1640 -- The Dutch settle at Greewich, but it becomes part of CT in 1656. The Hartford land inventory of 1640 notes that William Spencer held 6 parcels including 10 acres in the Pine Field "part . . . bought of Edward Stebin and . . . part of John Beddell.
      1641 -- Stamford is settled by a group from Wethersfield [the settlement is nearly abandoned by 1653, but receives support from the New Haven settlement.
      1643 -- Branford is settled [originally purchased in Dec 1638] by a company from Southampton, Long Island, under Rev. Abraham Pierson.
      May 1643 -- John Winthrop, Jr. returns to MA from England. [This is one of the possible migration opportunities by our Robert Bedell (who later settles in Hempstead, Long Island, NY) from England to the colonies].
      1645 -- Farmington established as a town.
      1645 -- Robert Bedell [possibly this Robert who later settles at Hempstead, Long Island] is conveyed by boat to Fishers Island, where he may have worked for Governor Winthrop as a goat or cattle keeper. Fishers Island is located off New London, CT, and was used by Governor Winthrop for livestock grazing.
      6 May 1646 -- Governor John Winthrop, Jr. organizes the plantation on the west side of the Thames River.
      1648 -- Robert Bedell registers his ear mark with Pequot town authorities on Winthrop's plantation with deeds of land granted to him [see Caulkins, History of New London (1852), p 61; and The Antientest Book (1648, 1649, 1650) (pub 1852). Also see our Bedell Early Origins volumes.]
      1650 -- 14 families arrive at the Winthrop plantation at Pequot as a covenanted church under Rev. Richard Blinman. [Compilers note: Pequot is renamed in 1658 as New London.]
      9 Sep 1650 -- Robert Bedell sells his land "that runs up to Mr. Winthropes house next to John Lewis." He sells the land to John Lewis. This is the last appearance of Robert Bedell in the Pequot town records.
      1651 -- Matabeseck [shich becomes Middletown in 1653] is recognized as a town. It began as a plantation in 1647.

      At least two, and possibly three, Robert Bedells were present in Massachusetts and Connecticut during the same early period. The reader and researcher is advised that, while the best effort has been made to associate the sketch historical events with the appropriate Robert Bedell, at best our evidence is sparse and our conclusions only informed speculation. These notes provide the rationale for the separations we have made. We begin with the poorest of the accounts and use it to help the reader understand our evidence for separation.

      DAR Bible Records, vol 20, p 136: "The first that we know of Bedel in this country is a Robert Bedel who was a member of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1631. [Compilers note: As yet, we have not reviewed the sources for this account. If this statement is correct, this is likely the Robert Bedell of Massachusetts and Maine who dies (probably in Kittery, ME) between 1645 and Feb 1648 -- probably between 1646 and 1647. The Robert Bedell of these notes, who eventually settles in Hempstead, Long Island cannot be either the Robert in Maine or the son of that Robert because he lives well past the date of Robert of Maine's death, begins his child raising later, and has a migratory and settlement path that clearly does not match Robert, the son of Robert of Maine.]

      "He [the Robert Bedell of these notes] was supposed to have come over here with the Winthrop Company as there is mention of him often with Governor Winthrop." [Compilers note: If this is correct, then this reference and the limited number of documented references at John Winthrop, Jr.'s Plantation at New London, CT, are probably to Robert Bedell who later settles at Hempstead with his family. These references are too late to be associated with Robert Bedell of Massachusetts and Maine, and, because of the use of the same cattle mark, they refer to Robert Bedell who sells his land at the Plantation and uses the same cattle mark later at Hempstead, Long Island, NY. Because the land of Robert Bedell at the Pequot Plantation at New London, CT (the town of Pequot) was located immediately adjacent to the Plantation grounds and estate home of Governor John Winthrop, Jr., the next sentence suggests that the author had indeed confused Winthrop, Sr. and Winthrop, Jr. and Robert Bedell of Massachusetts and Maine with Robert Bedell who subsequently settles in Hempstead, Long Island.]

      "His land was situated next to Gov. Winthrop's which would indicate a particular friend." [Compilers note: See the preceeding comment. Not only does the author appear to confuse his Robert Bedells and his Winthrops, he also fails to consider that the relationship between Gov. Winthrop, Jr. and Robert Bedell (subsequently, of Hempstead, Long Island) may have been nothing more than Robert being a valued servant rewarded by being entitled to participate in the land draws of 1648 in recognition for his service. The proximity to the plantation buildings of the land in the first draw may well reflect only that he was the 11th person to make his draw. There is evidence in a bill rendered for taking Robert Bedell to a Fisher's Island used as grazing land for Winthrop, Jr.'s cattle, that this is Robert Bedell of Hempstead who, as noted above, may have served as herdsman for Winthrop, Jr.'s cattle, as he does later for his fellow townsmen in Hempstead.]

      "In 1644 Robert Bedel was one of 17 men who founded the town of New London, CT and deeds were given by the government of 40 acres to each." [Compilers note: Again, we are uncertain if the author is correct, or really meant to infer that this all occurred in the year 1644. The author does not make source citations to any of his particular statements, listing sources only at the end of the account. On 17 April 1648, the Robert Bedell we believe is the same as Robert of Hempstead, Long Island, is 11th in a draw of land grants at New London, the lots being of 40, 30 or 20 acres. Robert receives 30 acres in the draw. On 9 Sep and 5 Oct 1650, Robert sells all his lands at Pequot Plantation which at that time totals 62 acres divided into three parcels of 2 acres, 30 acres and 30 acres. Each of these parcels is accounted for in documented records of two land draws of 30 acres each to Robert (held 17 Jan and 31 Jan 1648) and the 2 acres that was within the lot of Dean Winthrop. It appears that Robert also acquired at that time in Dean Winthrop's lot an additional 6 acres for which we do not have a record of their sale. Robert apparently acquired these two small lots, according to a reference in the record, in exchange for his having mowed the Winthrop lot the previous year.]

      "A little later, on account of dissention in the church, he with others went down the Connecticut River and established the towns of Hartford and Stamford." [Compilers note: We have seen no records to suggest that the Robert Bedell at New London goes after 1650 to Hartford and then to Stamford. In any event, the chronology is in error regarding the establishment of the towns of Hartford and Stamford. See the chronology discussion in the notes for Robert Bedell of Hempstead.

      [Entries in the 1644 Court Records of Hartford and Wethersfield, CT documents a Robert Bedell in trouble for stealing several items. The items stolen suggest he was poor and in need of food and clothing, rather than items stolen by a professional thief. The thefts occur in 1644 and would make Robert, Jr. of Massachusetts and Maine too young and likely not there, and his father was not a likely candidate since he gets his land grant in Kittery, ME in 1641 with it being recorded in 1645. See Joseph C. Rhea, Mary Ellen (Bedell) Rhea, Margo Miller, and John Bedells, Early History of the Bedell Families, vol 1, subsection "The Case For Robert Bedell of Connecticut Being Robert Bedell of Hempstead".

      [The time chronology is very tight, but it is barely possible that the Robert Bedell who later settles in Hempstead, is first noted as a young petty felon in trouble in Wethersfield and Hartford in 1644, in Court there on 5 Mar 1645, rescued from the grasp of the court and spirited to Fisher's Island off New London before 20 Mar 1645 to serve as a herdsman, married to Blanch by 1646 or at the latest in 1647, rehabilitated and permitted to participate in the land grants of early 1648, sold his lands by 1650, and most likely settled in Hempstead, Long Island by not later than 1654. The tight time chronology is the primary reason for suggesting that there were, perhaps, three Robert Bedell's in the same generation as Robert, Jr. of Maine and Massachusetts -- i.e., 1) Robert, Jr., 2) Robert the felon, and 3) Robert of New London and Hempstead. It is possible, and to some extent likely, that the Robert of New London made his way from New London by way of Stamford to Long Island since this was the established migration route to Long Island.]

      "Still later they secured rights on Long Island and walked with packs on their backs to Hempstead. They sent their furniture and tools on rafts by water, but they walked around by land driving their cattle with them and stopping by the wayside to milk them and feed the children. This was in the time of Peter Stuyvesant." [Compilers note: For reasons stated above, this is not the Robert Bedell, Sr. and Jr. of Massachusetts and Maine. Robert Bedell of New London is very likely the Robert who goes to Hempstead. The details of the account might represent what occurred, but it is more likely reflective of the account of the first English settlers at Hempstead who came there in 1644, six years before Robert sells his land in New London.]

      Based on Bedell Family myths, the persistent story that Robert Bedell of Hempstead descendants are distantly related to Bishop William Bedell of Kilmore, Ireland, and the chronology of public and parish records, the authors concur in the research by Margo Miller that Robert Bedell of Connecticut and Hempstead is probably Robert Bedell of Fairstead, Essex, England who was baptized 1 Sep 1624. See the research paper "Early History of the Bedell Families" by Joseph C. Rhea, Mary Ellen (Bedell) Rhea, John Bedells, and Margo Miller. Further research is required to rule out other Robert Bedell candidates in England who would have been born about 1620. One source records Robert's father as Thomas, and two sources identify Robert's father as John. None of these sources offer evidence or sources for their claims regarding the identity of Robert's father.

      Henry Onderdonk, Jr., The Annals of Hempstead; 1643 to 1832; Also, The Rise and Growth of the Society of Friends On Long Island and In New York, 1657 to 1826 (Hempstead, NY: Lott Van de Water, Publisher, 1878), p 14: Onderdonk states that Hempstead was "bought of the natives by Rev. Robert Fordham and Mr. John Carman in 1643. As it was under Dutch jurisdiction, they also obtained a patent from Gov. Kleft, 16 Nov 1644. Some of the conditions were that they should pay the government a tax of the tenth of their farming produce in ten years after the first general peace with the Indians, to use the Dutch weights and measures and the new style. This patent, written on parchment, was in the Town Clerk's office in North Hempstead a few years ago. In the suit for the Marshes a portion of it was copied by the lawyers and reprinted in Mr. Thompson's history. It is recorded in full in New York Deed Book, iii, p 100."

      The early history of Hempstead is abstracted from Onderdonk's Annals of Hempstead as follows:

      [p 15] 24 Oct 1643 -- Long Island is stripped of people and cattle, except for a few insignificant places about to be abandoned. They, except at one place, are all murdered and burnt.

      Apr 1644 -- Rev. Mr. Fordham sent word to Gov. Kieft that he arrested seven savages on a charge of stealing pigs, confining them to a cellar at Hempstead. Kieft sent 15 or 16 soldiers who killed three of the Indians in the cellar, took others to their boat, drowned to of these while towing them by a string around their necks behind the boat, and killed two others with knives at the Fort.

      Undated, but later than the above entry -- Kieft, being informed that Penawitz had killed some people and set their hoses on fire, sent out three boats with 120 soldiers who landed in Cow Bay and marched toward Hempstead. They formed two divisions, destroyed two Indian villages and killed 120 Indians with a loss of one slain and three wounded soldiers.

      23 Aug 1647 -- Delegates from Hempstead appeared before the Governor to report that the savages around them are lured on by the Indians from the Main to attack the people and destory the village.

      1649 -- Hempstead is superior to all the settlements in the Island, according to Dutch writers, for it is very rich in cattle. In 1657 there were 306 cattle and 74 weaned calves at pasture, all owned by 38 planters.

      16 Sep 1650 -- Orders made at General Court held in Hempstead and consented unto by a full town meeting held on 18 Oct 1650: "Forasmuch as the contempt of God's word and Sabbaths, is the desolating sin of Civil States and Plantations; and the public preaching of the Word by those who are duly called thereto, is the means of ordered of Godfor edifying, converting and saving the souls of men; it is ordered by the authority of this Court that all persons in this town shall duly resort to the public meetings on the Lord's day and public days of Fasting and Thanksgiving, forenoon and afternoon, under penalty of 5 guilders for the 1st abstinance, 10 for the 2nd and 20 for the 3rd. Those who remain refractory shall be liable to further censure of the Court either for aggravation of the fine or for corporal punishment or banishment. One half the fine to be given to the informer." [This is what we know as a Sunday Law, prohibiting the transaction of business or engaging in forms of entertainment or public meeting other than church services.]

      [p 16] 25 Sep 1651 -- Magistrates of Hempstead write a letter to the Directors at [New] Amsterdam thanking them for power and lead, and complaining that Dutch traders at Manhattans [now Manhattan in New York City] sell powder and lead to the Indians. "Since our last letters, hundreds of those Indians coming on the Island [Long Island] have killed our cattle and carried them off to their own plantations to feast upon, and sold some of the meat to the Dutch at Manhattans in place of venison. They have drived out of the pasture through the swamps our remaining cattle over our standing corn, so that we have this summer been damaged more than 1000 guilders."

      12 Mar 1656 -- In the general peace with Tackpausha and his Indians, convened at Hempstead, it is mutually agreed that all injuries since 1645 shall be forgiven and forgotten. The Governor agrees to build on the Northside a hose or fort to be furnished with Indian trade or commodities.

      16 Nov 1656 -- The Town Clerk objects to paying tenths at present, as no general peace with the Indians was made till this year, and he demands indemnity of the Governor (according to the covenant) for damages done by the Indians.

      No Bedell is listed in the settlement of the roughly twenty families who migrated to Hempstead, Long Island in the last of Nov 1641. Neither was a Bedell listed in the first division of land in the town of Hempstead in 1647 [Monnette, First Settlers of Ye Plantations of Piscataway and Woodbridge, Olde East New Jersey, 1664-1714, Part 2, p 163]. Robert Bedell and Blanch probably came to Hempstead as early as 1654 as evidenced by the following. In Volume 1 of the Hempstead Town Records (p. 112ff) an undated list of holdings of Hempstead men includes the name of Robert Bedell. This list was drawn up probably as early as Sep 1655 and may have been as early as 1654. The undated reply of Hempstead settlers to Governor Stuyvesant's demand for the "tenths", dated 4 Jul 1656, was signed by Robert Beadle who made his mark. The reply was probably made shortly after the demand was received.

      In 1657, Robert Bedell owned 8 head of cattle and 6 gates . . . "at the neck." [Note: The town record spells gates as "gats," and this is misinterpreted by some researchers as "goats." Gates was a standard means of measuring the extent of farm property (usually for livestock enclosure) which was controlled by a tax payer. Six gates would signify a "middle class" holding (compared with 16 gates for the large land holder) and suggests that Robert was already well established by 1657, as does the 8 head of cattle.]

      He was granted 16 acres by the town of Hempstead in 1657 and on 29 Nov 1658 he "concluded" to take up more land. It is likely that he held other land at this time as well, given the number of gates in the 1657 record. His holdings were appraised in 1657, for the purpose of 1658 taxes, as comprising 6 gates, 5 milch cows, and 16 acres of allotted meadow, with the rate or proportion for taxes set at 26. Other rates or proportions for other town members ranged from a high of 55 1/2 to a low of 5, suggesting Robert's holdings as a middle class assessment. [It should be noted here that the term "middle class" is deceptive since the greater share of townsmen had far less in holdings.] Among the "cowes" kept by Spragg in 1658 were 5 that belonged to Robert. He was elected Goodman Bedell at a salary of 12 shillings per week. On 8 Mar 1659, the townsmen of Hempstead "made a rate for the levy of the public charge for the year 1658." Robert's share was 28 shillings.

      The townsmen of Hempstead made an agreement with Robert "Beedle" on 25 Mar 1659 to the "effect that he take charge of ye west herd of cowes belonging to the town from May 1 on." The inhabitants were to send out their cows when Robert blew his horn and he would then take the herd to pasture when the sun was "a half hour above the horizon" and "return them a half-hour before sunset." He or his eldest son was to consider this his sole employment. His salary was 14 shillings per week. He was replaced by Walter Wall on 13 Apr 1660. There is a signature of a Robert Beadle recorded in the Hempstead Town Records, but this signature is probably that of Robert Bedell, Jr., or even of a later Robert.

      Gildersleeve Pioneers, Provo, UT, Ancestry.com, p 139: "A baffling problem vexed the proprietors at this time. The townsmen would not specify the use of Cow Neck for pasturage in their contracts with Robert Bedell for the west herd, nor with Richart Stites for the east herd or even with William Poole for the calf herd. They had already ordered this "old neck" abandoned for they had decided to have the peninsula of Rockaway in the southwest of the town closed off by a fence across its neck which was confirmed at a town meeting. . . . The plans for abandoning Cow Neck for pasturage, however, did not work out. Certain persons did not intend to desert the "old neck" but, contrary to town orders, kept on pasturing cattle and horses there and endangering crops."

      [Robert Raynor, Descendants of Edward Raynor: A cowkeeper/herdsman was paid twelve shillings a week. The sum was actually paid in produce as butter, wheat, corn and oats. Some other items used to barter were pork, beef, rye, tallow, beer, lodging, labor, and hog's fat. All cattle were herded one half hour after sunrise and one half hour before sunset. Anyone who opened the gate while cattle were herded inside drew a fine in accordance with the law. This was usually about "five shillings per defect, one halfe to be given ye informer, and other halfe for ye Townes use."

      On the last day of Feb 1660, the home-lot belonging to the town of Hempstead was leased at a general town meeting to Robert for 20 shillings. George Mills of Rusdorp sold his house, barn and home-lot in Hempstead and another adjoining it to Robert on 13 Dec 1661. George sold the remainder of his land to Thomas Ellison. Among the calves to be kept in the "north woods" in "the height of fly time" were 6 of Robert's. On 9 Feb 1663, Robert leased the home-lot belonging to the town house for 14 shillings. On 14 Jun 1665, Robert recorded the ownership of a mare marked with a half penny under each ear and on 13 Sep 1665 he sold a cow, marked the same way, to Ogdin Broun. This cattle mark with slight additions such as a slit in the off ear is used by his descendants for over a century.

      Robert Bedell and William Thickstun each sold a cow to Arynn Lambartsun of "the flatbush" on 23 Jun 1666. During the year of 1667 Robert sold two cows and a mare, purchasers not known. The records of the house and land which Robert Beddell bought of Steaven Hudson, and the home-lot and house, formerly Hope Washburne's, which he purchased from George Hewlett and William Osborne are recorded in the Hempstead town books, 11 Dec 1667.

      "Robert Beadle doth frely acknowledge that his wife Blanch Beadle shall have use and improvement of the house and land in this bill of sale (probably that formerly belonging to Washburne) her whole life time in case her husband die before her". This document was signed by Robert making his mark. Robert was witness to a deed of Thomas Iarland's [Ireland], 31 Mar 1668. On 11 Jan 1668, Robert was in Mr. Seaman's company to draw lots for land for planting. In the town meeting of 30 Jan 1668, he leased the "home lot" of the town for 16 shillings. On 3 Jun 1669, it was agreed that Goodman Bedle was to keep the east herd of cattle belonging to the town for 14 shillings per week, and on 19 Mar 1670 he began his "coucekeeping." Sometime during 1669 Robert recorded on the Hempstead town books his ownership of a lot at the "half neck" containing 4 acres and 69 1/2 rods.

      Hempstead Town Records, vol 8, pp 130-132, includes an undated entry on page 9 of the "Book of Laws and Deeds" containing a list of 160 names, "The nams of those yt paid to ye pattin with ye number of aceres." The list, however shows the payment rather than the number of acres. Among them are "Robard bedel" who had the smallest payment of 3 1/2D compared to "James pine" who had the largest payment of 5 pounds [Thorn Dickinson, "Early History of the Thorne Family of Long Island"].

      Henry Onderdonk, Jr., The Annals of Hempstead; 1643-1832, p 25, 4 Jul 1670: Joseph Jennings enters an action of defamation against Robert Bedell and his son, Daniel. He withdraws it and pays costs.

      Robert bought the old town barn for 3 pounds on 22 Jun 1670, and the town house for 9 pounds on 25 Apr 1671. On 30 Jun 1671 Robert deeded a tract on "Cowes great neck", south of the town of Hempstead, to his obedient and loving sons, Daniel and John, husbandmen. Blanch Bedell signed the release as well, making her mark. On the same date, Robert sold to his son, Daniel, 3 acres and 1 square rod of land in the southern part of the town. It was formerly the property of Stephen Hudson. He also sold to Daniel 4 acres in "Half neck" north of land belonging to John Smith Rock, Jr. The Hempstead census of 1673 records Robert, Daniel, Matthew and John Bedell [Vanderkamp's Translation of Dutch Record, XXII]. The names of the same four appear in the town books on 8 Mar 1674 as leasing land from the town.

      Vanderkemp's Translation of Dutch Record XXII, Names of Inhabitants of the Town of Hempstead, 1673: Includes Robbert Beedill, Daniel Beedell, Matthew Beedel, and John Beddell.

      Orra Eugene Monnette, First Settlers of Ye Plantationsof Piscataway and Woodbridge Olde East New Jersey, 1664-1714, part 1 (1930), pp 119-120; part 3, p 489: The name, Robert Bedell, appears in the list of First Settlers of Staten Island, Richmond County, NY with the year of 1673. Quoting from Manor, pp 251 and 253, Monnette records: "Early in the period of English control, Long Island, Staten Island and Westchester were all classified as the three Ridings of Yorkshire. Suffolk was called the East Riding, King's County, part of Queen's and Staten Island made up the West Riding; the remainder of Queen's and Westchester made up the North Riding. In 1683, however, the Assembly abolished the Ridings and established Counties in their stead, directing that the County of Richmond should 'conteyne all Staten Island, Shutter's Island, and the islands of meadow on the west side thereof. But long before this -- in 1675, to be exact -- a Court of Assizes held in New York ordered that 'by reason of the separation by water, Staten Island shall have jurisdiction by itself, and have no further dependence on the Courts of Long Island, nor on its militia.' Ever since then Staten Island has been an independent judicial district."

      At a court held by the constable and overseers of Hempstead, 7 Apr 1675, Henry Boman alleged that Robert Bedell owed him for cow keeping. The Court ordered the defendant to pay the remainder of the money yet unpaid for six cows according to the rate. On 5 May 1675, in Court Tomas Ellison brings suit against Robert claiming he had a company of "Mat" Bedell's cattle for three or four days and that he should have been paid 3 shillings a day for his service. Rober Bedell was named the defendant because, Ellison alleged, that Robert promised to pay the charge if Matthew did not, and that neither had done so. The court awarded 12 shillings to Ellison [Onderdonk, The Annals of Hempstead, pp 28-29].

      At court held on 2 Jun 1675, Robert Jackson entered an action of the case against John Junnins, a settler with whom the Bedells had several legal disputes. Robert, Matthew, John, and "Betty" [probably Robert's daughter, Elizabeth] testified for the plaintiff. The case was thrown out of court.

      In the town meeting of 9 Apr 1677, Robert and Daniel Bedell were among the proprietors of Hempstead empowered to take up 100 acres of woodland each, except Daniel was limited to a half-share [50 acres]. On 20 Jun 1679, Robert Bedell at a town meeting was given 50 acres and Daniel 25 acres, as proprietors of Hempstead.

      On 1 Sep 1681 "Robert Bedle, Senr, of Hempstead" conveyed to his son, Robert the elder's "now dwelling house witt home lott and orchard and all housing barns". Robert, Jr. was not to take possession until his father's decease, and he was to allow his mother, Blanch, to dwell there during her lifetime, should her husband prececease her. She was to have use of the orchard whenever she wished. Robert deeded to his son-in-law, "Charls Abrams," on 26 Nov 1681, a howllow on Hempstead Plain. On 5 Jan 1682, Robert, Sr. sold to Richard Minthorne all his right in the east "ox pasture" consisting of 4 "ox gattes".

      The inhabitants of Hempstead on 24 May 1682 agreed to maintain Jeremy Hubbard as minister. Contributions to his yearly support from the Bedells was Robert (1 pound), Daniel (1 pound), John (10 shillings), Matthew (5 shillings), and Robert, Jr. (5 shillings). The contributions could be made in corn or cattle. On 11 Oct 1683, Robert Beagle, Sr. was recorded as having 3 cows and 3 sheep in the evaluation of the estates of Hempstead inhabitants [Carol M. Meyers, Rate Lists of Long Island, 1675, 1676, and 1683. Saugus, CA: RAM Publishers, 1967, p 74]. His sons owned 35 1/2 acres of "land and meadows". Thomas Ellison of Hempstead conveyed to John Tredwell a meadow lot on the west side of "cose Neck" on 16 Nov 1683. This meadow was bounded on the south end by a "whit oak tree next ye woods adjoining to goodman Begles fence". By a vote of the town Simon Garman [Jarman, Jerman; later to become Germond] was given about 1 1/2 acres south of Jeremiah Wood's and "near his father bedle" on 22 Jun 1685. Simon was married to Robert's daughter, Mary.

      On 14 Apr 1685 Thomas Higam of Hempstead sold to Robart Bedle his "now dwelling house and home lot" consisting of about 3 acres and located east of Daniel Bedle's 50-acre lot. It is not certain that this sale was to Robert, Sr., but most references to Robert's son, Robert are made as Robert, Jr. A deed of John Ellison's on 23 Feb 1687 contains a notice of a lot that had been sold by his father, "Laranc Ellison" to Robard Bedle, Sener. On 1 Mar 1686 Robert Bedel, Sener deeded certain property in Hempstead to Elias Doughty. On 7 Apr 1686 Robert Bedel, Sener made a gift to his son John of the house and lot where the latter was then dwelling, the said property being east of Daniel's land and west of Robert's.

      Cornell, Genealogy of the Cornell Family, p 147: The will of Richard Cornell of Rockaway, dated 7 Nov 1693, proved 30 Oct 1694 gives to his son, Thomas, "a tract bounded south by William [Cornell], north by the middle of the fresh cove that Robert Beadel's meadow was laid out in . . .."

      On 6 Feb 1694, Robert is a witness to the will of Harmon Flower of Hempstead [Jamaica Wills, Liber A, p 93].

      Robert, Sr., Daniel and John Bedell were among the proprietors of Hempstead to whom John Stuard addressed his petition for a grant of 18 or 20 acres on 16 Feb 1692. On 3 Apr 1697, Robert Beedel, Sener, planter, conveyed to his son Robert 1/4 of the meadow on Coes Neck, Bounded westerly by Hicks Neck Creek, northerly by Thomas Ellison's land, and easterly by land of John Smith, Rock. In the census of 1698 for Hempstead, Robert's name occurs immediately before that of his son, John, suggesting that he might have been living with John at that time.

      Treadwell in Additions and Corrections to the New York Genealogical and Biographical Record Articles does not believe that Robert Beadle or Bedell of Wethersfield, CT and/or New London, CT are identical. Robert of Wethersfield was a felon and Robert of Hempstead was a townsman and quite respectable. See Early History of the Bedell Families research paper. Mack references a Genealogy of the Bedell Family that is in the Queens Borough Public Library, but our research there as failed to discover it. Mack states that Robert and Blanch had a son, David, born 1648, who married in 1679 Anne Pawlett. Mack records this son as the father of Richard, rather than Daniel. In the Evaluation of the Estates of Inhabitants of the Town of Hempstead, 11 Nov 1683, Robert Beagle, Sr. has three cows and three sheep.

      Robert died between the Hempstead census of August 1698 and 20 March 1702 when an inventory was taken of his estate, since he died intestate. His son, Daniel, was appointed administrator of his father's estate, 28 May 1702. The inventory of his estate was taken by John Sering and Thomas Gildersleeve. Items in the inventory and their value included:
      1 bed and bedding (2 pounds, 14 shillings), clothing (4 pounds, 12 shillings), 1 chest (12 shillings), 1 ox (4 pounds, 15 shillings), 1 cow and calf (3 pounds, 6 shillings), 2 farrow cows (5 pounds, 6 shillings), 2 steers and half a yearling (6 pounds, 6 shillings), Dan Beedle debter for rent for cattle and meadow (4 pounds, 16 shillings), John Beedle bond(10 pounds), and two cows and calves (2 pounds and 18 shillings).

      See the separate document, Early History of the Bedell Families, for details on Robert and his life at Hempstead.

      Peters, Powells of the Hudson Valley sources and notes: 1) Harold Smith Papers, New York State Library.

      Robbert Beedil listed in Myers, Early New York State Census Records, "Names of People in Hempstead, Long Island, 1673."

      Bedell Vertical Files, NYGBS Library, reviewed 9 Nov 1999: Genealogy Chart states 1671 deed by Robert to sons Daniel and John lists Blanche as his wife.

      Edna Johnson Bedell, Bedell Genealogy, p 5: "Robert was doubtless born in England before 1620, as the birthdate of his son, Matthew -- who was not his eldest -- can be placed about 1645. Probably married prior to 1644 his wife Blanche.

      Edwin Salter, A History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties, p viii: "In Topanemus graveyard is a tombstone erected to Jeremiah Bedle, who died in 1732, aged 79 years." [Assuming the reading of the tombstone is correct, Jeremiah would have been born in 1652 or 1653. Chronologically, Jeremiah would fit as a heretofore unidentified son of Robert. There is no mention in any Hempstead records of Jeremiah as a son of Robert. However, the appearance of the given name, Jeremiah, as a grandson of Robert and son of Daniel suggests that the name was used by Robert as a name of one of his children. However, an alternative explanation exists. Jeremiah may have been an early immigrant of the Bedle family from the West Indies, the ancestral origin of Joseph Bedle, a Governor of New Jersey.]

      Town of Hempstead Archives Repository Guide, Jun 1996: The history of the Town of Hempstead really begins prior to its official inception in 1644. In 1636 settlers from the Plymouth, MA Colony established the towns of Hartford, Windsor and Wethersfield (called Watertown) in Connecticut. From Wethersfield a handful of people journeyed along the Long Island Sound and established Stamford, CT. This group included the Reverend Richard Denton and his four sons. In 1643, two emissaries (Robert Fordham and John Carman [Fordham's son-in-law]) were sent across the Long Island Sound to the Dutch-held westerly part of Long Island to obtain town rights from William Kieft (Director General) and to purchase title from the Indians. In December of 1643, Carman and Fordham met with tribal representation of the Reuckowack, the Merockes, Matinecock and Massapequas and a land deed was negotiated on 13 Dec 1643. The deed failed to specify the boundaries of the vast land tract that was to become Hempstead. Nor did it mention any form of compensation for the tribes. The Deed that Fordham and Carman concluded with the Indians in 1643 was not confirmed until 4 Jul 1657.

      The name Hempstead may derive from Hemel-Hempstead in England, which means town spot. Although colonists began to come over to what is present day Hempstead, it was not until Nov 1644 that Dutch Director General William Kieft issued the patent granting the settlers rights and title [the Kieft Patent]. During the early years, governance decisions were made in the annual and special meetings of the Town. Primarily, these decisions, often termed "orders" dealt with community land and enforcement of local laws. For example:

      2 May 1654 -- It is ordered by all the inhabitants that hath any right in the work shall sufficiently make up either his or their proportion of fence at or before the 15th day of May next ensuing the date hereof stilo nova and every person or persons that is found negligent in so doing, shall pay for every rod defective two shillings and sixpence [Hempstead Town Records, vol 1, p 21].

      2 May 1658 -- At a town meeting this present day, it is ordered that every inhabitant within this town of Hempstead shall within five days, after the date hereof, give in to be enlisted by the Town Clerk, all lands that was ploughed, and reaped and gathered viz. hollows, uplands, homelots, excepting one hollands acre by patent allowed, for each inhabitant, allowance whereby our tithe may be paid unto the Governor according to our agreement, one hundred shocks of wheat [Hempstead Town Records, vol 1, pp 24-25.

      During the twenty years under Dutch rule the Town of Hempstead had a good measure of self-rule. Elections were allowed for magistrates, a clerk, five townsmen, a pounder, cattle keepers, hay warden, and other local officials. Following the British taking of New York from the Dutch, the Duke's Law Convention was held in Hempstead in Feb 1665. The purpose of the Convention was to adopt basic principles of law, local government and approve a consitution. The following towns sent delegates: Southhampton, Seatalcott (Brookhaven), Huntington, Oyster Bay, Hempstead, Jamaica, Gravesent, Newtown, Flushing, Brooklyn, Bushwick, Flatbush, New Utrecht, and from the mainland, Westchester. Hempstead sent John Hicks and Robert Jackson. In 1683, the New York Colony was divided into twelve counties, and Hempstead became part of Queens County. At the 1 Apr 1684 Town Meeting:

      "It is agreed upon by majority vote that all and every person that have had grants of home lots are obliged, either to fence, build upon or improve them within three years and one day's time, or if they do not improve the same Lottts according to ye above written agreement in the time specified, then the said home lotts belonging to the persons they were given to, are to return to the towne again . . ." [Hempstead Town Records, vol 1, p 189].

      During the American Revolutionary War, settlers on the south shore of Hempstead were aligned with the British cause, and those on the north shore with the Revolutionary cause. So severe was this division that it lead to the formation, in 1784, of the separate towns of South Hempstead and North Hempstead. During the 1800's South Hempstead, which became known as Hempstead, continued to grow steadily. Population growth is indicated in the following: 4,141 in 1800, 5,084 in 1810, and 6,200 in 1830. By 1855 it was the most populous town in Queens County with just under 10,500 people. The population doubled to more than 24,000 by 1900. The Long Island Telegraph newspaper was first published in the Village of Hempstead in 1830, becoming the Hempstead Inquirer in 1831. The Long Island Railroad, chartered in 1834, decided in 1836 to extend the line to Hempstead. In 1996, the Town of Hempstead was the largest township in the United States, comprising over 142 square miles and a population of approximately 725,000 people. Within the Town limits were 34 unincorporated areas, 22 incorporated villages, 65 parks and marinas, and 2,500 miles of city, county, state and federal roads. [Town of Hempstead Archives, Town Clerk's Office, 1 Washington Street, Hempstead, NY 11550-4923.]

      Daniel M. Tredwell, Personal Reminisces of Men and Things on Long Island [Brooklyn, NY: Charles Andrew Ditmas, 1912]. [vol 1, p 135] "Like the great plains, the marshes were the common lands of the Town of Hempstead. The marsh privileges were considered a great inducement to settlers. Sheep parting and marshing were institutions peculiar to Long Island . . .. On the south shore of Long Island, between the upland and the beach, or ocean, is a tract of meadow or marsh land consisting of about 50,000 acres, of which about 22,000 acres lie in Queens County, and about 8,300 acres in the Town of Hempstead. . . .

      [p 136] "This tract of marsh land is perfectly level and is interspersed by creeks running in every conceivable direction, and being of every conceivable degree of crookedness, width and depth. A large portion of this tract of meadow produces a salt grass very healthful for cattle and sheep. And it being common land of the town, any townsman may harvest as much as he pleases, with the only restriction as to the time for the commencement of cutting. At the town meeting, or spring election, it was resolved by the good people of the town viva voce that the cutting of the marshes shall commence on a named day, usually Tuesday after the second Monday in September. . . . On the day previous [to that day] the inhabitants go in thier boats to . . . select a desirable piece of grass not yet selected by any other person; but no one is permitted to cut untial sunrise on Tuesday. . . .

      "The first act [of cutting the hay on the marshes] that appears in the town records regulating the cutting was on 5 Jul 1667. [p 137] Nearly one hundred years later the following fully defined enactment appears in the town records:

      "Att a Publick Town Meeting held in Hempstead the thirty-first Day of August one thousand and Seven hundred Sixty-one pursuant to the Direction of the above Warrant it Was then Voted and Agreed upon by the Majority of the Freeholders and Tennants in Common of the Said Township then Assembled that No Grass Nor Sedge Shall be cut On the Common Meadows or Marshes on the South Side of Sd Township at any time hereafter until the first day of September (Except Such Small Quantitys as people usually Cut in the Summer Season to Salt their cattle), and it is Also Voted by a Majority of the said Freeholders and Tennants in Common that if Any person shall Cut any Grasse or Sedge as aforesaid before the first day of September they shall forfitt and pay twenty shillings for Every offence to the use of the poor of the said Township and the following persons to wit: Timothy Beadle, Sam R. Smith, Samuel Langdon, Increase Pettit and William Langdon, or any two of them are by Vote of the said Freeholders and tenants in common chosen to Sue for the Said Fines and forfitures and When Received to pay it to the Church Warden for the use above said.

      "And whereas many persons have of late years been obliged to go to the Marshes to Git hay to Winter their Cattle but find Great Difficulty in Curing the Same for want of More publick Landing places and have complained at the Town Meeting that Sundry persons have inclosed part of the Common Land and Meadow At South Fork for their own particuluar use So as to Debar the Town in general the benefit thereof, therefore the Freeholders and Tennants as abovesaid Do by Majority of Votes Appoint and Impower Timothy Beadle, Thomas Rushmore, Isaac Denton and Benjamin Cheesman to Inspect the Same and Where they Shall find Any person or persons that have fenced in Any of the Ancient Comanages as aforesaid they shall require Such Persons to throw out the Same in Some Convenient time, Which if they neglect or Refuse to Do then the said Persons or Eith of them Shall Lay Open the Same and the Town to Clear them Harmless for So Doing and as Several persons Who usually practice Gitting Hay of the Marshes have Made Application to this Town Meeting in behalf of themselves and Others that Now Do or hereafter May have Occasion to Git Hayy of the Marshes for Liberty to Inclose such parts of the commonages as they May have Occasion for to cure their Hay On. During the General Session of Giiting Sedge and then their Inclosure to be removed So as to Lye in common. Granted by majority vote of the Freeholders.

      "From the earliest history of the town, efforts have been made to divide the common lands of the Town of Hempstead, consisting of the plain lands and these marshes, pro rata among the freeholders of the town. . . . At a general town meeting held at Hempstead on October 14, 1723, certain freeholders of the town presented a memorial, requesting a division of the common land equitably among the freeholders in proportion to their present holdings. This was never accomplished."

  • Sources 
    1. [S1862] Albright Bedell Genealogy, Al Albright.

    2. [S1806] Peter Cooper: Citizen of New York, Edward C. Mack, (Duell, Sloan and Pearce, NY, 1949).

    3. [S1807] Bedell Family Descendents List, Unknown, (List prefaced by Summary of Bedell Families in England, but not connected).

    4. [S1808] Genealogy: Bedell of Staten Island, Unknown, (Photocopy, pp. 14-15).

    5. [S1809] Pearsall Genealogy Bedell Records, (Pearsall Genealogy).

    6. [S1810] Jamaica Library Bedell Manuscript, (From town, country, church and Bible records).

    7. [S1811] The Descendants of John Bedell of New Jersey, Gale Burwell, (Manuscript privately printed).

    8. [S1836] "Robert Bedell of Hempstead, Long Island and His Descendants", Henry Alanson Tredwell, Jr., (New York Genealogical and Biographical Record), vol 71, pp 3-8.

    9. [S1812] Genealogies of Long Island Families, From the New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Henry B. Hoff, (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1987), vol 1, p 36.

    10. [S1884] Powells of the Hudson Valley, Alicia A. and George H. Peters, (Source card file, Vedder Memorial Library, Greene County Historical Society, Coxsackie, NY).

    11. [S1813] Edna Johnson Bedell Genealogy, Edna Johnson Bedell, (East Orange, NJ: Self-published, Feb 1954. Typed manuscript), p 5.

    12. [S1815] Mierzejewski: Bedell Family Notes, Bethany Mierzejewski, (LDS Pedigree Resource File, CD 90, 2004; 8 Prudential Road, Worcester, MA, 01606; briarly9@hotmail.com).

    13. [S1816] Anderson: Bedell Family Notes, Bobi Anderson, (banderson2@sw.rr.com).


genetic genealogy
Webmaster BiddleEtc Home Page BiddleEtc Lineage Database BiddleEtc Y-DNA Test Results Biddle/Bechtel Y-DNA Project at FTDNA Diana's DNA Hub Diana's Genealogy Site

Go to BiddleEtc Home Page
 
Privacy Policy ______
Go to Lineage Database

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2017.